Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Watching New Year's Eve Around the World

Last year we watched the New Year's Eve countdown on TV watching 'boy' band Take That in concert in London. Irish TV's shows are usually pretty boring! So I am missing Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve, etc. I've been searching for something online to make up for it. So far I have found some sites with webcams:
- Earthcam (Moscow is the first place to celebrate on this site; in about 40 minutes) - http://newyears.earthcam.com/ts/index.html?currentcam=multiview
- Google Maps Mania (list of streaming cams in a couple places) - http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/2008/12/new-years-mashups-on-google-maps.html
- Fisgonia (Google map showing webcams around the world) http://www.fisgonia.com/

We probably won't stay up to follow the celebrations in Times Square, but it looks like there are a lot of fun events to watch on Earthcam.

Wherever you are have a great time tonight and best wishes for a happy and healthy 2009!

PS - What's your most memborable New Year's Eve? I've had a few good ones: Times Square, Edinburgh, etc. Most memorable: 1984 I worked with a friend who was catering a Manhattan Transfer concert at Radio City Music Hall. It was great to be behind the scenes at that great venue. The best we had worked at. They gave out great gifts to the audience, like Orwell's book, and we were able to grab a few. Always civic minded, I had donated blood earlier that day and caught the bus up to Radio City. We were in the kitchen preparing the food. As usual we had a few drinks and next thing I new I was lying on the floor and my head really hurt. My friend Marcia was standing standing over me, "Why didn't you tell me you had just given blood! You shouldn't be drinking!" I sat on a window ledge, hoping that I hadn't got a concusion, and looked up to see a group of tourists staring at me. They were on the backstage tour and apparantly I was one of the attractions! We finished up preparations in time to enjoy the concert and the countdown onstage.

No comments:

Post a Comment